Friday, May 22, 2009

I have vowed not to make this blog depressing because unlike the number of people who believe that journalism is dying, I think the media is on the brink of a new era of innovation. And though the news is becoming less institutionalized, it cannot be denied that information (and the need to communicate it) will never disappear.

My entire background has been in public relations. But before you write me off as a nuisance, I have to say that the recent trends in the media industry have changed my job quite a bit. I am now immersed in this new world of digital multimedia and I have been learning how to use Internet tools (i.e. You Tube, Facebook, blogs, Twitter) to deliver messages to the public. I am completely fascinated by the number of options we now have to communicate, socialize and build communities by using the Internet. That being said, I hope to use this blog as an opportunity to share these innovations, discuss how these multimedia tools will positively impact news and engage in some positive dialogue to make us all hopeful that the news (though it may not be delivered to your doorstep anymore) is not going anywhere.

I came across an article in FORTUNE titled, “How Facebook is taking over our lives,” where writer Jessi Hempel made a strong case for this social networking site that now has a user base of more than three billion people. Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg aspires “to turn Facebook into the planet's standardized communication (and marketing) platform, as ubiquitous and intuitive as the telephone but far more interactive, multidimensional - and indispensable.”

The site has definitely changed full circle since I joined as a college senior back in 2005 and, I think it is safe to say that the possibilities are endless. What do you think of Zuckerberg’s goal? And, as Facebook proceeds in the direction to be the world’s standardized communication platform – what implications does this have on the news?

3 comments:

  1. The thing about Facebook is that it starts with where we all are. Connecting with someone there is like networking with someone in real life (at least in more ways than most online platforms do and even many "real" situations - such as at work).

    You start with a little personal history - pictures - of fun times, family , friends, goof-ball stuff. You can get into lengthy job descriptions (but most don't - unlike on LinkedIn).

    Basically you just keep up with someone's life - like a friend. You overhear what other people say to them and how they respond.

    What happens? This magical thing called "credibility" starts to grow. And is based on a personal ethos that develops around the person, not on some instutional code of ethics.

    Then when someone sends a link - you sorta know where they are coming from.

    The age of living in mass personal alienation - traceable all the way back to the grossly impersonal Industrial Revolution - is dead. The institutions of Mass Media it spawned had better do some fast thinking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Facebook is definitely growing in numbers. However, I do not think it will be just as popular as the telephone. After all, the privacy issue is a BIG deal to me. I don't know if the next Facebook virus may blow up all my message.

    I am not able to sense having a full blown deep conversation on Facebook. I would much rather do that over the phone.

    But I agree. If you don't join in on Facebook, you're missing a huge part of what society is doing daily.

    ReplyDelete